Where is KARANA based?
What is Jackfruit, and where does it come from?
What’s so great about Jackfruit? What are the benefits of using Jackfruit vs other plants?
- It really does taste like meat. Try it to see what we mean.
- Its versatile in the kitchen, grabbing onto flavours and spices & also giving lots of interesting textures.
- It’s a nutritionally dense fruit with high fibre levels, no cholesterol, low fat and low calories (vs meat).
- It’s an abundant, sustainable & biodiverse fruit that is largely wasted as a resource.
- Each year its estimated that 60% of the Jackfruit crop goes to waste with only roughly 10% being commercialised. We like the idea of working with something that already abundant in nature and significantly utilised.
- Jackfruit trees are pest & drought (heat) resistant, so small-holder farms don’t require much effort to grow and harvest as there is no need for irrigation.
- A lone Jackfruit tree can produce 200+ fruits per year, each weighing up to 40+ kgs. That’s a high yield for a single tree that doesn’t require many inputs from farmers.
- Jackfruit is mainly grown intercropped as a shade plant rather than a monocrop (like Soy). This means that they help support other flora and fauna adding to local biodiversity rather than taking away from it.
Where are KARANA products made and where are your ingredients sourced from?
Are KARANA products Vegan and dairy-free?
We are 100% plant-based and vegan.
Do you use protein isolates, concentrates or texturates in KARANA products?
No, we don’t. We pride ourselves on using minimally processed whole-plant meat to make our products.
Do you use artificial flavours in KARANA products?
Is KARANA healthy?
Our goal is to make the food you can feel good about eating more of. We're not perfect but we think you'll agree that compared to meat there are lots of benefits to eating KARANA including:
- High Fibre
- No Cholesterol
- Low Fat and saturated fat free
- Made from whole-plants, without heavy-processing, antibiotics, hormones, or GMOs.
How do KARANA Whole-plant meat shreds compare to nutritionally to Pork?
Here is a comparison between KARANA and pork loin.
KARANA WHOLE-PLANT SHREDS vs PORK LOIN
Are there any allergens in KARANA products?
Are Karana products Organic certified?
Our product is not officially organic certified, but our jackfruits are grown organically by small-holder farmers, without the use of harmful pesticides.
Are Karana products Halal?
Are Karana products Gluten-free?
Do KARANA products contain onion, garlic or other alliums?
What is KARANA whole plant meat shreds made of?
Where can I try KARANA?
Can’t I just buy a fresh jackfruit and do it myself?
Is KARANA’S packaging recyclable?
When will KARANA offer products in retail?
Who do I contact if I want to talk about using KARANA at my restaurant?
What’s the reason behind the name KARANA?
I want to write a story about KARANA. Who do I contact?
We are so excited that you want to feature us in your story! Get in touch with us by simply filling up the form on our Contact us page and we will get back to you shortly.
Are you hiring? Can I get involved?
Find out more about our current career opportunities by dropping us a message on our Contact us page, and we will get back to you.